Our commitment to helping kids stay healthy and fit extends far beyond the Healthy Movement & Active Play program. The research states that one child in five is seriously overweight and one in three is heavy for their age. The culprit… inactivity. Children are becoming less active, spending more time in front of the television and computer and less time running, jumping, and being active regularly. Children who are obese have a greater likelihood of remaining so into adult life. The health concerns are many: high blood pressure, high cholesterol, joint problems, cardiovascular disease, hypertension, diabetes, cancer and even low self-esteem.
The Creating Healthy Kids Coalition of Calumet, Outagamie and Winnebago Counties, along with public officials, are calling for more activity programs for children; physical education and physical activity. Families can help accomplish this goal by taking these steps:
- Encourage your children to be physically active.
- Play and be physically active with your children.
- Teach your children safety rules and make sure they have the clothing and equipment needed to participate in physical activity safely.
- Advocate for convenient, safe and adequate places for young people to play and take part in physical activity programs.
- Set a good example by being physically active, making healthy eating choices and not smoking.
We recognize that it takes a healthy family to raise a healthy child. We hope that you and your family will join us in getting active through Healthy Movement & Active Play.