Practicing overhead movements helps children develop their upper arm and shoulder muscles. Below are a couple of fun family activity ideas to help you entire family develop and maintain these targeted muscle areas.
Over and Under
Line up your family in one line, so that each individual is facing the back of the person in front of them. Starting at the beginning of the line, have the first person pass a ball overhead (adults may need to kneel to pass the ball to a child behind them). The next person passes the ball between their legs. Once the ball reaches the end of the line, the person with the ball runs to the front of the line, and the process begins again. You can challenge your family by seeing how quickly you can do the activity, rotating everyone through the positions.
Work together as a family to keep a beach ball or balloon in the air by tapping it with two hands above your heads. Make it a game by seeing how many times you can hit the ball or balloon without it hitting the ground.
Chinese Noodles Drops
1 (5 oz.) can chow Mein noodles
1 cup carob chips
½ cup frozen apple juice concentrate
¼ cup peanut butter
1 tsp. vanilla
- Place chips, juice, peanut butter, and vanilla into top of double boiler.
- Fill bottom pot of double boiler with water, cover top of pot.
- Bring water in double boiler to boil on high heat.
- Cook until chips are melted
- Add noodles
- Stir using wooden spoon and remove from heat
- Line baking sheet with waxed paper
- use metal spoon to drop mixture onto baking sheet by spoonfuls
- Let harden before serving.